Job Title: Women Study Program Officer
Job starting date: August 16, 2010
Women’s Education for Advancement and Empowerment (WEAVE) works in partnership with ethnic minority women from Burma, believing that the empowerment of women and development of their status benefits the whole community. WEAVE gives the women opportunity to improve themselves through education, confidence building and skills development. WEAVE encourages women to take leadership and share skills in their families and communities. Our main office is in Chiang Mai, Thailand and have offices in Mae Sot and Mae Hong Son.
The Women Study Program (WSP) aims to build the capacity of women (young and old) to securely have place in the community through relevant and essential knowledge and skills training and sharing on Women’s Development, Peace and other vocational based courses
The over-all responsibility of the Women’s Study Program Officer is to ensure the smooth implementation of the Women’s Study Program with Karenni National Women’s Organization (KNWO) in Karenni Site 1, Ban Mai Nai Soi, Mae Hong Son. The successful applicant will work closely with the WSP Local Coordinator under the supervision of Mae Hong Son Field Coordinator.
- Project management and supervision: Coordinate in the over-all activities of WSP, ensuring timely provision of support, conduct of regular planning with WSP personnel and Project Management Team; smooth implementation; conduct regular monitoring and periodic evaluation.
Administration and Finance: Provides necessary assistance to all the staff members of WSP Project Team in the implementation of their planned activities; assists the Local Coordinator in determining appropriate and relevant training opportunities for local staff to improve their knowledge, skills and attitude on school project management; prepares 3 months projected budget and manage funds efficiently including checking accounts before submitting final report to
- Chiang Mai; maintains complete record of cash request and reports; supports in fund raising/seeking additional funds for WSP extra activities.
- Teaching/Training :Teaches/co-teaches in the school; coordinates relevant and appropriate input/training sessions for teachers, school administration and CBT’s, as needed; conducts regular teacher’s sessions as a form of coaching and mentoring for the teachers.; works closely with the Local Coordinator and concerned teacher/s in monitoring activities of Community Outreach Education and support in identifying possible trainers/speakers for the training.
- Meeting and information sharing: Coordinates regular conduct of project meeting with the WSP Team and ensure that meeting discussions and agreements are documented and implemented; provides regular project updates to KNWO leadership, Project Management Team and Director as necessary and involve them in decision making.
- Networking and Linkage building : Coordinates and maintains good working relationship with KNWO projects such as the Nursery School; other women’s groups; KNWO camp committee; KnRC, KnED and other community-based organizations; communicates with other NGO’s to ensure regular sharing of information and possible work collaboration; participates in relevant activities in the community such as women’s exchanges, protection working group, women related meeting and international celebrations, etc.; represents WEAVE in appropriate and relevant activities/ meetings.
- Other tasks : In cooperation with WEAVE management and staff, develop long-term ideas and plans for the Women’s Study Program ;
- Participates in WEAVE staff meetings; provides necessary support as requested by WEAVE’s Director.
- Knowledge of Burma/Thailand border refugee situation and preferably has experience working along the Thai-Burma border.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, women’s education and empowerment
- Background in gender, women’s issues and development, education, community development and management would be helpful
- Experience in working in a multi-cultural setting/environment
- Good communication skills using English language. Ability to communicate Thai , Karen and Burmese is an advantage
- Ideally, he/she must have the willingness to work during some irregular hours
Based in: Mae Hong Son
Pay scale: This is a full-time position and the salary will be determined according to WEAVE’s standard salary scale. The employed staff will undergo a 3 month- trial period.
Benefits: There is a health care allowance and modest health insurance policy.
How to apply:
If you think you have the necessary qualifications and experience required for the position, and would like to apply for the job, please send:
- 1. a letter of application in English, Burmese, or Thai
- 2. your CV or resume giving details of your qualifications and experience
- 3. Photocopy of Thai ID card or Passport, and Transcript of Records from school
- 4. the names and contact details of 3 character references (people who have known you in your working environment)
Applications may be sent by e mail, fax or mail not later than July 30, 2010 to :
Nancy Wah, WEAVE
PO Box 58, Chiang Mai University
Chiang Mai 50202
Kindly cc: your application to email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Only short listed candidates will be notified for interview.
WEAVE welcomes applicants from women ethnic minority communities and gives preference in hiring them.