WEAVE Volunteer Program promotes volunteerism to support the mission to empower women by expanding their rights and opportunities. Volunteers can contribute their time, skills and knowledge to support WEAVE projects along two main directions: Women’s Economic Empowerment and Early Childhood Education. WEAVE have offices in Chiang Mai, Mae Sot and Mae Hong Son and projects are based in Karen and Karenni Refugee Camps and Thai Villages along the Thai Burma border. Volunteers’ location will depend on the position and project supported.Learn more about WEAVE projects
WEAVE differentiates between interns and volunteers in that interns are required to be University students and need to present supporting documents from their University. The application and projects to be supported are the same for interns and volunteers and more details about the internship program will be sent once the application is received.
Positions to support:
Below are some of the areas that can be joined by volunteers. If the motive of the application at WEAVE is related to a particular research please send us your research proposal with the cover letter
• Development and Communications Volunteer. Some of the tasks include: News writing and editing for WEAVE website - Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe literate
• Documentation Volunteer. Some of the tasks include: data gathering, data collation, database management and program support
• Human Resource Management Program Support Volunteer
• Small Business Development Volunteer. Some of the tasks include: Training – Social Enterprise Development, Livelihoods, Cooperative, Teaching Technique, Visual Aids
• Marketing and Promotions Volunteer
• Fundraising. Some of the tasks include:developing fundraising materials, including brochures and event’s coordination
• Teaching basic English (Speaking and Conversational) for Non-Literate Nursery School Teachers or participate in our Parent or Children Education Program
• Knowledge of Burma-Thailand border refugee situation
• Understanding of, and commitment to, women and children’s education and empowerment
• Background in women and children’s issues and development, social work, education, fair-trade, business, non-profit management, international affairs, economics, or related fields
• Demonstrated ability to multitask with minimal supervision and experience in working in a multi-cultural setting / environment
• Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communication skills in English; Thai, Karen and Burmese are an advantage.
• Previous international travel, especially in the developing world preferred.
• Ideally, willingness to work some irregular hours and to travel to the border areas as necessary.
• Interested candidates may submit an application at any time indicating interests and availability. Please submit a cover letter, resume (with 3 references), and a brief writing sample (2 pages maximum) by email to email@example.com or fax: +66 53 357 695
• The cover letter should state exact dates of availability and the main focus/interests. Applicants should also specify which of WEAVE project they are mostly interested in
• Please note WEAVE volunteer program is for at least 3 months and operates on a non-remunerative basis. WEAVE will cover transportation allowance for field work upon submission of receipts.
Due to the expected volume of resumes, we cannot respond to every applicant. Only those potential applicants will be contacted.Volunteering at WEAVE FAQ